Saturday, January 4, 2014

Downton Abbey Inspired Earrings

Yesterday I posted about new black jewellery I've been making, much of it inspired by Downton Abbey. I've been pigging out on the drama series...only to research the fashions, you understand.
Long black onyx earrings, inspired by Downton Abbey
You see, a friend lent me the DVDS of series 1 and 2 as I had missed many of the early episodes. Over the Christmas break, as a treat for all my hard work in the busy season, I have watched 12 episodes over the course of a week. Some may call that over indulgence...but it's all in the name of research! Really.  

By now I am totally immersed in early 20th century style. To consolidate it all, yesterday I visited a wonderful temporary exhibition of Paris fashion plates from 1912 to 1914 at the Chester Beatty Library. If you are in Dublin and you  love the history of fashion, it's a must see.

There wasn't much in the way of jewellery to see, but the beading and details on the costumes sparked my creativity.  After sneaking in another episode of the drama, I made the above pair of long, elegant onyx earrings.

'Midnight in Dublin' earrings are made with onyx gemstone beads and silver chain dangles. The ornate cones are silver plate. I always use hypoallergenic, solid sterling silver hooks as they are kindest to the ears. These dangle earrings will look stunning with up-dos or short hair.


I will be making a few more pairs in stones of other colours this season as well as listing pearl jewellery also inspired by the first 3 decades of the last century.

Now if you will excuse me, I think I need to do another hour of research.....
https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/153625678/wedding-pearl-earrings-downton-abbey?ref=shop_home_active
long pearl earrings 1920s style

4 comments:

  1. Hello, and happy new year! I visited the exposition at the Chester Beatty Library! I agree is a must-see, very very interesting and well done...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, what a stylish era. I'm sure that's partly why Downton Abbey is so popular - we love oogling the dresses and jewellery. Happy New Year Elettra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, love simplicity, the shiny is nice. marvelous jewellery plan. appears like they'd be fairly cheap to form, assume 2 teenaged grand daughters would love these. Next time i am in craft store i will be searching for the provides. Great post
    . Glad you had an honest break, you merit it. generally alternative things like your family, friends should return initial before your diary.
    wedding-earrings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss Dublin...you always have something to do and to see..and many times for free, like exposition you mention

    Black long hearings (gorgeous)remember me the Charleston time I love the way they danced , wow...memories !

    ReplyDelete